We are all conscious of what we eat and keeping healthy and the meditteranean diet is high up on the list of perfect !! When I think of all the new shakes, smoothies that are on the market today, I thought of Spanish Gazpacho, probably the oldest smoothie on the market, so easy to make and full of fresh goodness, every time, it should be number 1 on your list, try it……………………….
- 2 kg summer tomatoes, skinned and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or other sweet variety) chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, skins removed and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 8 tablespoons of good Spanish Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons of good Spanish Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold water, or more as needed
- 1 baguette of one day old bread
- .In a bowl, soak the bread in 1/2 – 1 cup of water for 10 min. Squeeze out, by hand, as much water as possible from the bread. In a food processor, puree all the chopped vegetables; add the cumin, garlic, the soaked bread (water squeezed out), sherry vinegar and Olive oil and 2 Tbsp cold water. Puree in the food processor until the mixture is entirely puree and smooth. Add more cold water if needed to get the right consistency; it should be slightly thick but should pour easily. Add salt to taste (start with 1-2 tsp). Refrigerate at least 2 hours and re-taste for salt. Serve chilled with garnish of chopped tomato, cucumber, red pepper; top with croutons or serve with crostini.
- This is an ideal soup to be served in the hot weather, apart from all the vitamins and goodness it provides for you, there are now lots of new modern little twists to serving this fantastic dish
- Try it, and let me know, it really is perfect for these long hot summer days !!
Brooke Universal Coach
Join me on facebook I would love to see you, https://www.facebook.com/brooke.smitham